The list of World’s most corrupt countries is out. Do you wish to know which is the most corrupt country?Somalia is the most corrupt country according to the survey conducted by Transparency International. Some of the other most corrupt countries of the world include Myanmar, Afghanistan, Iraq, etc.
The list of most corrupt countries in the world is out. An organization called Transparency International started conducting this survey from 1995 and gives the report about most corrupt countries every year. The Corruption Perceptions Index or the CPI is “the degree to which corruption is perceived to exist in the public sector.” Transparency International defines corruption as “the abuse of entrusted power for private gain.” They rate the countries based on 13 independent surveys; however, all the surveys is not valid for every country.
How Corruption Perception Index (CPI) is calculated by Transparency International:
Step 1: Standardizing the data got from individual sources by translating them into a common scale. They use “Matching Percentile” technique to rank the countries.
Step 2: Beta-transformation of the standardized data is one.
Step 3: Determination of CPI scores by averaging all the standardized values for each individual country. CPI score ranges between 0 and 10 where 0 being the most corrupt and 10 being very clean.
Few facts about 2010 CPI:
1. Nearly 3/4th of the countries among the 178 countries surveyed have a CPI score below five (5).
2. 13 surveys were taken between January 2009 and September 2010.
Let us go to the list of most corrupt countries in the world for the year 2010.
1. Somalia: Somalia is the most corrupt country with a CPI score of 1.1. Somalia was in the same position and the same CPI in the last year (2009) survey too. They had a CPI score of 2.1 in the year 2005 and from then have dropped to a CPI score of 1.1 in the year 2010.
2. Myanmar: Myanmar is the next most corrupt country in the world with a CPI score of 1.4. Myanmar has moved from the 3rd most corrupt country last year to the 2nd most corrupt country this year.
3. Afghanistan: Afghanistan becomes the 3rd most corrupt country in the world with a CPI score of 1.4 as against last year’s CPI score of 1.3. They have moved from 2nd most corrupt country to the 3rd most corrupt country this year. 4. Iraq: Iraq is the 4th most corrupt country in the world with a CPI score of 1.5 as against last year’s CPI score of 1.3. They were the 5th most corrupt country last year.
5. Uzbekistan: Uzbekistan got a CPI score of 1.6 this year and is the world’s 5th most corrupt country. They were the 7th most corrupt country in the world last year and their CPI score was 1.8 which was dropped to 1.6 this year.
6. Turkmenistan: The CPI score of Turkmenistan too has dropped to 1.6 this year as opposed to last year’s score of 1.8. They are the world’s 6th most corrupt country.
7. Sudan: The CPI score of 1.6 of Sudan remains the same for last year and this year. They were the 4th most corrupt country in the world last year and have moved to the 7th position this year.
8. Chad: The CPI score of Chad has been improved from 1.6 in the year 2009 to 1.7 in the year 2010. They were the 6th most country in 2009 and the 8th most corrupt country in 2010.
9. Burundi: Burundi is the 9th most corrupt country in the world with a CPI score of 1.8 as against 1.9 in the year 2009.
10. Equatorial Guinea: This is the 10th most corrupt country in the world and has a CPI score of 1.9 as against 1.7 in 2009.
Be happy if your country is not in the least of top 10 world’s most corrupt countries. Do you wish to know where your country features in the list of corrupt countries? Check out the entire list of world’s most corrupt countries.