Joint Entrance Screening Test (JEST) 2012:
Using JEST results, each institute will call a limited number of candidates for its own selection procedure depending, on its requirements.
All selected candidates will receive Research Fellowships from the respective institutes.
The JEST exam is used to shortlist candidates and does not automatically entitle an applicant to get a Research Fellowship.
- Last date for ON-LINE submission is December 15, 2011.
- Last date to request printed application form December 5, 2011..
- Last date for receipt of the filled applications is December 15, 2011.
- JEST – 2012 written test will be held on February 19, 2012.
- M.Sc. in Physics or M.Sc. / M.E. / M.Tech. in related disciplines.
- Candidates with M.Sc. in Mathematics / Applied Physics / Applied Mathematics / Optics and Photonics / Instrumentation / Electronics will also be considered at IIA.
- Graduates with a B.E. or B.Tech. will also be considered at IISc, IMSc, IUCAA, JNCASR, NCRA-TIFR RRI, IISER Mohali, IISER Pune, IISER Thiruvananthapuram and SNBNCBS.
- Talented final year B.Sc. and first year M.Sc. (in Physics / Electronics / Astronomy / Applied Mathematics) students may also apply to be pre-selected for research scholarship at IUCAA.
- At IPR, candidates should have a Master’s degree in Physics, Engineering Physics or Applied Physics.
- M.Sc./ M.E. / M.Tech. / M.C.A. in Computer Science and related disciplines, and should be interested in the mathematical aspects of computer science. Visit website of IMSc for further details.
Integrated M.Sc. / M.Tech – Ph.D Programme
- At HRI, IISER-Pune, SNBNCBS, and NCRA-TIFR candidates with a Bachelor’s degree will also be considered for the integrated M.Sc., Ph.D. programme in Physics.
- At IMSc, graduates with Bachelor’s degree in science/ mathematics/ /statistics /computer science/information technology/Engineering will also be considered for admission in Physics and in Theoretical Computer Science, as part of an integrated Ph.D. programme. All candidates successful in the course work of this programme shall be awarded an M.Sc. degree.
- At SNBNCBS, graduates with B.Sc. (Physics) / B.E. / B.Tech. degree will be considered for the integrated Post-B.Sc.-Ph.D. programme in subject areas mentioned above.
- At IIA, graduates with B.Sc. (Physics / Mathematics) / B.E. / B.Tech. in Electrical / Instrumentation / Engineering Physics / Electronics and Communications / Computer Science and Engineering / Optics and Photonics will be considered.
Integrated M.Tech – Ph.D. Programme at IIA
- Graduates with M.Sc. (Physics / Applied Physics) / Post-B.Sc. (Hons) in Optics and Optoelectronics / Radio Physics and Electronics / B.E. / B.Tech. degree in subjects mentioned above will be considered. Visit IIA website for details.
Instructions for filling up of the ON-LINE form:
Please make sure you have read carefully the eligibility criteria of each of the institutes for various programmes by visiting their respective websites before filling up the forms.
Please make sure you have the payment details of Application Fee of Rs. 100 (and Rs. 50 for SC/ST) such as Transaction/Challan No., Bank.
- While filling up the form you will be asked to upload jpeg files of your passport size photograph and your signature. The size of the individual files should not exceed 100 Kilo bytes. In case the jpeg file of your photo taken with camera exceeds the limit, you should compress the file size using compression softwares available. There are websites, such as http://jpeg-optimizer.com, http://www.imageoptimizer.net, through which you can compress the jpeg file. Your signature can be scanned with a digital scanner, and saved as JPEG file for uploading. In case this file size produced by scanner also exceeds 100 kB limit, you can compress it using the same tools as above. Please make sure the image type is of JPEG by right click –> properties of the file being uploaded.
- You are strictly advised to retain an identical photograph to be pasted on the admit card in case if it is not printed for some reason.
- Please use black ball pen / sketch pen to do the signature which is to be uploaded.
- You can save and edit an incomplete form by clicking on “Save Draft” but no changes can be made after final submission (when you click on “Submit”).
- Use your email address to login.
- You will receive an email with submitted data of your form at given email address. Please keep this email for communication purposes.
- Please make sure all data, photograph, signature are entered by LAST DATE.
- Please re-visit the site for downloading your Admit Card.
How to apply
- Register with a valid email address by clicking on Create new account (Registrations will open shortly). Upon successful registration, one can login to apply for JEST-2012 online.
- Although online applications are preferred, for those who have difficulty in accessing the internet, a hard copy of the application form can be requested by writing to