The “Kishore Vaigyanik ProtsahanYojana” (KVPY) is a program started in 1999 by the Department of Science and Technology (DST), Government of India to encourage students of Basic Sciences to take up research careers in Science. The aim of the program is to identify and encourage talented and motivated students for pursuing a research career.
This program strives to assist the students to realise their potential and ensure that the best scientific talent is groomed for research and development in the country. Generous fellowship and contingency grant are provided up to the pre-Ph.D. level to the selected students. In addition, summer programs for the KVPY Fellows are organized in prestigious research and educational institutions in the country.
The Department of Science and Technology, the nodal agency of the Government has entrusted the overall responsibility for organizing the KVPY Program to the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore and set up a National Advisory Committee (NAC) for overseeing its implementation. A Basic Committee and a National Scientific Committee, look after both the administrative and academic aspects of the KVPY Program.
Annual Contingency Grant
|SA (After X Class)||Rs. 4000||Rs. 16000|
|SX /SB – during 1st to 3rd years of – B.Sc./B.S. /Integrated M.Sc. /M.S.||Rs. 5000||Rs. 20000|
|SX /SB – during M. Sc. / 4th to 5th years of Integrated M.Sc. /M.S.||Rs. 7000||Rs. 28000|
Renewal/Continuation of fellowship
Annual renewal of fellowships will depend on the KVPY Fellows maintaining a good academic performance of first class (60% marks) or equivalent grade point average in science subjects in each academic year in the first attempt. Repeaters or students who failed and passed or improved in the subsequent attempts will not be eligible to be considered for renewal of fellowship even if they fulfil the performance criteria in the subsequent attempts.
In addition to the above, participation and satisfactory performance in the Summer Program in the first year and Summer project every year thereafter is mandatory requirement for renewal of the fellowship.
KVPY Fellows who opt out of the science stream at any stage will forfeit the Fellowship and Contingency Grant forthwith.
The fellowship for the students selected under the stream SA will be continued after the XII Standard/ (+2) only if they pursue an undergraduate course in Basic Sciences (B.Sc./B.S./Int. M.Sc./M.S.)
Summer programs are important parts of the nurture program for KVPY Fellows. These are meant to expose the Fellows to methods of scientific search and inculcate in them an abiding interest in doing scientific research. These are normally organized during the summer vacation, when KVPY Fellows spend one or two weeks in scientific institutions listening to lectures by experts in different fields of Basic Sciences and other related subjects, see things in a research environment, science in action, watch scientists at work, interact with scientists, visit nearby scientific research laboratories and institutions, exchange views and interact with other research students. Sometimes Fellows with specific interest are associated with individual scientists who talk to them about their interest, help them clear their doubts, give them problem to work out, let them do experiments, and tell them about the future scope in the area of their interest.
The Summer Program for KVPY Fellows is arranged at Indian Institute for Science Education and Research (IISER) – Kolkata, Pune, Mohali, Bhopal, and Trivandrum for a week.
Stream SA: Students enrolled in the XI Standard (Science Subjects) during the academic year 2012-13 and have secured a minimum of 80% (70% for SC/ST) marks in aggregate in MATHEMATICS and SCIENCE subjects in the X Standard Board Examination.
Students promoted through both the Summative Assessments-II conducted by the school and conducted by the Board are eligible to apply, if they satisfy the eligibility criteria. If the students have obtained a letter grade in the qualified examination, they are requested to convert it into an appropriate % and fill-up the application form.
Stream SA – Mentoring Scheme: Eligibility same as above and the students need not apply separately for the Mentoring Scheme.
A Mentoring list over and above the regular merit list will be prepared. The students under the mentorship list will not be eligible for any fellowship. Their fellowship will be activated when these students enrol in an undergraduate course in Basic Sciences (B.Sc./B.S./Int.M.Sc./M.S.) after their XII Standard/(+2).
During the mentoring period of one year, they will be invited for Summer Programme/ Vijyoshi Program and their travel and other related expenses will be met by KVPY. Stream SX: Students enrolled in XII Standard/ (+2) (Science subjects) during the academic year 2012–13 and aspiring to join an undergraduate program in Basic Sciences (B.Sc./B.S./Int. M.Sc./M.S.) for the session 2013–14 provided they have secured a minimum of 80% (70% for SC/ST) marks in aggregate in MATHEMATICS and SCIENCE subjects in the X Standard Board Examination.
Stream SB: Students enrolled in the 1st year of B. Sc./B.S./Int. M.Sc./M.S. during the academic year 2012–13 and have secured a minimum of 60% (50% for SC/ST) marks in aggregate in SCIENCE subjects in the XII Standard Board Examination.
Empowerment initiative for SC/ST students in the KVPY Fellowship Program:
A number of additional fellowships (up to 100) exclusively for the meritorious SC/ST students under the various streams stated above will be operated. A special orientation program for the selected SC/ST students will be organized.
(i) Aptitude Test: After scrutiny of applications forms, based on the performance in the Board Examination, all the eligible students will be called for a written aptitude test conducted both in Hindi and English at different centers across the country on Sunday, the 4th November, 2012. The details of the venue of the aptitude test for the eligible students and their seat number will be published in the KVPY website during the first week of October 2012.
- Students who have applied online may download the admit card for the aptitude test from the website from the second week of October 2012.
- For students who have applied with a hard copy, admit card will be sent by speed post.
(ii) Interview: Based on the performance in the aptitude test, short-listed students will be invited for an interview which is the final stage of the selection procedure.
Request for Application Form
- Each Stream has its own application form.
- Students may apply either by Hard copy or Online (http://www.kvpy.org.in/).
- For Online application forms, click here. Those who are unable to apply online may request for a Hard Copy.
- A hard copy of the application form can be obtained from KVPY on request, enclosing therewith the paid “Bank Challan/ Pay-in-slip” (available at: http://www.kvpy.org.in/), clearly indicating the stream SA/SX/SB on the envelope.
- PROCESSING FEE: A processing fee of Rs. 200/- may be remitted at any core banking branch of STATE BANK OF INDIA to the credit of “Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana (KVPY) A/c. No. 10270577392”).
- The Processing fee is exempted for the following category of students:
- The completed application form along with the following documents, superscribing on the envelope the scheme applied for, should reach the KVPYoffice on or before 12/09/2012.
- Caste certificate issued by a competent authority in the prescribed proforma in the case of SC/ST students.
- Medical certificate from the prescribed authority in case of physically and visually challenged students.
- Copy of the marks statement of the qualifying examination(s).
- The original Pay-in-slip of Rs. 200/- if applicable.
- KVPY will not be responsible for postal delays in receiving completed application.
- IMPORTANT DATES
• Last date for receipt of the request for application form. 1. By post : 03 September 2012 2. In person at IISc : 07 September 2012 • Last date for closing of Online application : 07 September 2012 • Last date for receipt of the completed application:
(both Online/Hard Copy)
: 12 September 2012
All correspondence should be addressed to:
Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana (KVPY)
Indian Institute of Science
Bangalore 560 012.